WHAT IS ALPHA?
Alpha is a Transmedia Cinematic Performance inspired by the ancient myth of Antigone and talks about what we are all witnessing and experiencing as consequences of the so-called “crisis”.
IS IT A MOVIE THEN?
Yes and no.
Alpha will be initially projected in Ancient Theatres and Open-Air Theatres with a live quartet, a live chorus and a live actor, thus blurring the lines between Cinema, Theatre, Performance and Concert.
In its Urban Version, it will be shown in Alternative Venues and Art Spaces, with its live quartet, chorus and actor, while at the same time, parallel exhibitions from invited artists from many art forms, will create a thematic universe, exploring the relevance of the myth of Antigone today.
Important speakers will start a conversation every day, inviting the audience to participate actively in this exploration.
A stand-alone version of the movie will be FREELY distributed on the internet, under a Creative Commons License.
WHY NOT IN THE CINEMAS?
This is a complicated question to answer in a few lines, but to summarize it let’s just say that:
- Cinema is an art form that must evolve and embrace other art forms, thus producing something much more powerful than 90 minutes in a dark hall.
- Cinema can greatly evolve if it can creatively embrace its “mother”, the Theatre and Ancient Drama. The traditional distribution practices are too narrow-sighted to allow this.
- The business side of Cinema distribution is built upon principles that remained the same for a hundred years, making it completely outdated and out of touch with reality today.
- The whole distribution business model is built and run by the big studios and the big companies, leaving the independent creators totally outside, especially when it comes to profit-making.
- The current model of distributing cinema is very conservative and doesn’t have room for what we have envisioned, so if we are to communicate the essence of Antigone’s myth, we must do what we feel is right for the story we are trying to tell and stay true to ourselves and our heroine.
You can read more about our Plan & Philosophy by clicking here.
AND WHY GIVE IT AWAY FOR FREE?
The real question is “why not?”
People trying to hold on to their “property” and say “this is mine”, are outdated. This state of mind belongs to a different time that has gone by. Thanks to the internet, the moment we create something, it belongs to the world. Trying to deny that, only makes a ridicule of oneself. Although the big music and cinema companies know they cannot control anything, they are desperately trying to impose rules that are only to their interest and against Free Culture (ask any musician or filmmaker what profit he gets from his company)(but someone other than the-kid-that’s-in-fashion-now-and-sings-about-love-from-above).
We are making art to communicate, we are making art to share our feelings with everyone, we are making art to puzzle ourselves with the greatness and the hideousness of humans. We don’t do it to keep it to ourselves or a few select ones. It doesn’t belong to us the moment it comes out to the world.
SO HOW DO YOU PLAN ON MAKING A LIVING?
We plan to make a living by not obstructing the energy flow!
Our source of income is you who is watching the performance or the stand-alone film in your house.
We believe what we produce is worth supporting, but the ultimate choice is yours.
If you feel moved by what you see, consider supporting us with any amount you feel like, or you can help by spreading the word and building momentum and awareness.
We are not businessmen, but artists. This can be a problem for us sometimes, but it’s not something we can fix.
WHEN WILL WE SEE IT?
The movie was successfully crowdfunded in March 2013, becoming the first Greek film and the second European to be fully crowdfunded.
It was shot in June 2013 and is currently in post-production.
In the winter of 2013-4, we kick-off in International Film Festivals.
In spring-summer of 2014 we tour the Mediterranean Ancient Theatres.
In autumn-winter of 2014, we go to Alternative Venues and Art Spaces in the Cities.
In the end of 2014, we give it away for free on our website and everywhere.
From there on, the tour goes on!
HOW CAN I GET IN TOUCH?
Write us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Find us on Facebook at www.alpha-movie.com/facebook
Find us on Twitter at www.alpha-movie.com/twitter
Get a ticket to Athens and drop by our studio ( email for details ;)