WHAT IS ALPHA?
2.500 years ago, Sophocles the Athenian inspired by the myth of Antigone, presented his Tragedy of the same name and posed the still unaswered question: "Is human law, Justice?"
Alpha is a Transmedia Cinematic Performance inspired by the ancient myth of Antigone, by our actual present and by this exact same question.
IS IT A MOVIE THEN?
Yes and no.
Alpha is performed in Ancient Theatres and Open-Air Theatres with a live quartet, a live chorus and a live actor, thus blurring the lines between Cinema, Theatre, Performance and Concert.
In its Urban Version, it is performed in Alternative Venues and Art Spaces, with its live quartet, chorus and actor, while at the same time, parallel exhibitions from invited artists from many art forms, create a thematic universe, exploring the relevance of the myth of Antigone today.
Important speakers start a conversation every day, inviting the audience to participate actively in this exploration.
The project is presented in every venue as a case study, for those interested in learning what we did and what we didn’t do, what worked and what didn’t, and generally share the knowledge we gathered so others can take it further.
A stand-alone version of the movie will be FREELY distributed on the internet, under a Creative Commons License in 2015.
WHY NOT IN THE CINEMAS?
This is a complicated question to answer in a few lines, but to summarize it let’s just say that:
- Cinema is an art form that must evolve and embrace other art forms, thus producing something much more powerful than 90 minutes in a dark hall.
- Cinema can greatly evolve if it can creatively embrace its “mother”, the Theatre and Ancient Drama. The traditional distribution practices are too narrow-sighted to allow this.
- The business side of Cinema distribution is built upon principles that remained the same for a hundred years, making it completely outdated and out of touch with reality today.
- The whole distribution business model is built and run by the big studios and the big companies, leaving the independent creators totally outside, especially when it comes to profit-making.
- The current model of distributing cinema is very conservative and doesn’t have room for what we have envisioned, so if we are to communicate the essence of Antigone’s myth, we must do what we feel is right for the story we are trying to tell and stay true to ourselves and our heroine.
You can read more about our Plan & Philosophy by clicking here.
AND WHY GIVE THE STAND-ALONE FILM FOR FREE?
The real question is “why not?”
We feel it is pointless to close our eyes to the great cultural change that is already taking place with the advent of Free Culture, and we believe we should creatively embrace it instead of hopelessly opposing it.
We are making art to communicate, we are making art to share our feelings with everyone, we are making art to puzzle ourselves with the greatness and the hideousness of humans.
SO HOW DO YOU PLAN ON MAKING A LIVING?
Think of us more like a music band than a filmmaking group. In the 21st century, the musican does not expect to make a living from his CD sales, but rather from his live shows.
What we offer with the live performance cannot be reproduced in the privacy of a home, and our aim is to tour as many Ancient Theatres and Alternative Venues as we can, so you can see what we are talking about.
As for the stand-alone film, we believe that downloading and watching it in your house, is worth supporting us, but the ultimate choice is yours.
If you feel moved by what you see, consider supporting us with any amount you feel like, or you can help by spreading the word and building momentum and awareness.
We are not businessmen, but artists. This can be a problem for us sometimes, but it’s not something we can fix.
WHEN WILL WE SEE IT?
The movie was successfully crowdfunded in March 2013, becoming the first Greek film and the second European to be fully crowdfunded.
It was shot in June 2013.
On July the 26th 2014, the Performance premiered at the Sani Festival ‘14.
Check our Facebook page for the announcement of the next venues.
In 2015, we give it away for free on our website and everywhere.
And the tour goes on!
HOW CAN I GET IN TOUCH?
Write us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Find us on Facebook at www.alpha-movie.com/facebook
Find us on Twitter at www.alpha-movie.com/twitter
Get a ticket to Athens and drop by our studio ( email for details ;)